Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mid August training and training accidents

Well training seems to be progressing. When we committed to this ride about 4 months ago it seemed like a no brainer. But the closer we get to the ride the more we are starting to question what we were thinking. The hills keep looking bigger and the distances further!!  Needless to say fear of failure has each of us hard at work!

Chicago Training

August weekends have involved a number of 60 and 75 mile runs from Evanston to Great Lakes Naval Training Center


And Lunch is usually at Einstein Bagel in Lake Forest about 34 miles into the run.


Hot Weather Training

I am not sure we need hot weather training for a September ride in England and France, but we are sure getting some here in Chicago.

Note the temperature gage on Simons bike computer.


San Francisco Training

I was in San Francisco on business and managed to get some miles in. I rode about 45 miles through Golden Gate Park and down the Pacific Coast. Here I borrowed a vintage Schwinn that is about 3X heavier than my bike. I only wiped out once on the run. Fortunately I did not hurt my shoulder. Long story but I have a full tear in my rotator cuff and will under go surgery in October.


Hood River, Oregon Training

Then I made it up to Oregon and the Hood River.


Unfortunately one of my cousin's convinced me I should do some cross training, and go mountain biking. Small problem, I had never been mountain biking and had no idea what I was getting in for. These are not just dangerous trails they are purposly made that way. Say what??????? In any event I managed to to a head gainer over the handle bars on the way back down the trail and I cracked 2 ribs, smashed my thumb, and got one hell of a black eye. Oh yes and totaled my sun glasses. The good news...I get new sunglasses. The bad news, its a real pain to train with cracked ribs. I took the next wek off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add both your comments and photos.